KINGS POINT, N.Y. (July 18, 2018) – On Tuesday, the Skyline Conference announced the 2017-18 Scholar Athletes of the Year for all 19 sports that the league sponsors and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy boasted three student-athletes who were honored with the prestigious accolade - rising-senior Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.) of men's swimming & diving, rising-junior Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) of women's swimming & diving and rising-sophomore Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) of baseball.
A Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award is presented to the First-Team All-Conference performer who carries the highest grade point average (minimum 3.30) for the semester in which the student-athlete competes. For USMMA, the fall student-athletes are measured by their first term GPA, the winter student-athletes against their second term GPA and the spring student-athletes against their third term GPA.
Kahl earned All-Skyline First Team accolades at the Conference Championship Meet back in February after he won a total of three races - two individually, the 100-yard backstroke (53.77) and the 200 back (1:55.88) and one as the first leg of the 200 medley relay squad that touched first in 1:37.38. In the classroom, Kahl is working towards a degree in Marine Engineering Systems.
Lou was victorious in two events at the Skyline Championship Meet, earning All-Skyline First Team honors after leading the pack in the 200 individual medley in 2:18.00 and also as the second leg of the 200 medley relay team that touched first in 1:53.83. Lou is working towards a degree in Maritime Logistics & Security.
Raab was the Skyline Rookie of the Year for this past 2018 baseball season. He was also both a D3Baseball.com and ABCA All-New York Region selection after his phenomenal freshman campaign. Raab ended the year with a 7-3 record in 10 starts, pitching to a 1.93 earned run average with four complete games, two shutouts and 77 strikeouts. He is a Maritime Logistics & Security major at the Academy.
For the complete release from the Skyline Conference, click here.
The full list of 2017-18 Skyline Scholar Athletes of the Year is below.
- Baseball: Joe Raab, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Men's Basketball: Simcha Halpert, Yeshiva
- Women's Basketball: Charlotte Renker, Old Westbury
- Men's Cross Country: Curtis Bates, Maritime
- Women's Cross Country: Erin MacDonell, St. Joseph's-Long Island
- Golf: Dylan Legg, Mount Saint Mary
- Men's Lacrosse: James Fitzgerald, Mount Saint Vincent
- Women's Lacrosse: Morgan Cordes, Mount Saint Mary
- Men's Soccer: Jorey Garcia, Old Westbury
- Women's Soccer: Bridget McKeever, Mount Saint Mary
- Softball: Rachel Heizer, Mount Saint Vincent
- Men's Swimming and Diving: Christopher Kahl, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Women's Swimming and Diving: Erica Lou, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Men's Tennis: Mikey Ozery, Yeshiva
- Women's Tennis: Shani Hava, Yeshiva
- Men's Outdoor Track and Field: Nikola Georgiev, Farmingdale State
- Women's Outdoor Track and Field: Marina Magoulas, Farmingdale State
- Men's Volleyball: Tyler Jones, St. Joseph's-Long Island
- Women's Volleyball: Claire Urizzo, St. Joseph's-Long Island
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!