Photo courtesy of Axcess Baseball.
KINGS POINT, N.Y. (March 27, 2019) – The USMMA baseball team defeated visiting non-conference opponent John Jay, 14-1, on Wednesday evening at Lower Roosevelt Field. The win improved the Mariners' record to 10-7, while the Bloodhounds fall to 6-14 in defeat.
- It was a scheduled bullpen day for the Mariners, as they used a total of eight pitchers over the nine innings. Freshman Colton McDaniel (Buford, Ga.) got his first career start and pitched two shutout innings, allowing just a hit and a walk and striking out three batters.
- Three other Mariners pitched shutout innings allowing one hit – sophomores Quinton Heck (Massillon, Ohio) in the third and Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.) in the fourth and freshman Billy Todd (Gastonia, N.C.) in the sixth. Hunt had one strikeout.
- The win went to freshman Tucker Conlan (Berwyn, Pa.), the first of his career, as he tossed a 1-2-3 fifth inning and struck out one.
- After allowing the Bloodhounds only run in the seventh on a home run to the leadoff hitter, junior Garrick Colorado (Williamsburg, Va.) settled in and retired the next three batters via strikeouts.
- A pair of seniors closed out the game – Trevor Fox (Northport, N.Y.) in the eighth with a walk and a K, and Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.), who threw a perfect inning with nine-straight strikes as he struck out the side to secure the win.
- The Mariner bats broke through in the bottom of the third with three runs on a sacrifice fly by freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) that plated sophomore Jacob Kelly (Norfolk, Va.), followed by an RBI triple by sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) that brought senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan) in and a single by Cunningham that scored Alteri.
- Aichele knocked in two in the bottom of the fourth on a bases-loaded single that brought in freshman Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.) and Kelly. Then Reinebold singled to plate Aichele to double the Mariner lead to 6-0.
- After a single by Reddeck that scored freshman Zach Coutts (Grand Junction, Colo.) in the fifth, Merchant Marine added three more runs in the sixth on a double by freshman Zac Skov (San Clemente, Calif.) that brought in Aichele and a double down the left field line by Cunningham that scored two – Reinebold and Skov.
- The Bloodhounds got their run in the top of the seventh on a home deep in the right field corner by senior Jurrel Diaz.
- USMMA closed out the scoring with four right after the seventh inning stretch on an RBI-single by senior Adam Viscovich (Whitestone, N.Y.) that brought in junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.), an RBI-groundout by Aichele that scored Viscovich, another single by Reinebold that plated freshman Brayden O'Connell (Beaver Dams, N.Y.) and finally an RBI fielder's choice by Skov that allowed senior Tyler Mowry (Peachtree City, Ga.) to score.
- Two Mariners had three-hit days – Reinebold went 3-for-4 with two RBIs and two runs and Alteri was 3-for-3 with a triple, one run batted in and one run scored.
- Aichele (1-for-4, two runs) led the Mariners with four RBIs, while Cunningham (2-for-5 with a double) knocked in three.
Up next, the Mariners will travel up to Dutchess Stadium in Fishkill, N.Y., this Saturday, March 30, for a road Skyline doubleheader against Mount St. Mary College. First pitch of the twin-bill is scheduled for 1 p.m. Live stats of both games will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!