ANNANDALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. (April 3, 2019) – USMMA freshman starting pitcher Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) brought a no-hitter into the eighth with two outs before surrendering the first hit of the day to the host Bard College Raptors, but the freshman settled for the victory, his second of the season, in the Mariners' 16-3 road win on Wednesday. With the "W," Merchant Marine's sixth-straight, the Mariners move to 15-7 on the year, while Bard falls to 9-11.
- Aichele moves to 2-0 with the decision, as he tossed eight innings allowing just the one hit and one walk while striking out a career-high 12 batters.
- Junior Ben Kane (Huntington Beach, Calif.) struggled in the ninth inning, allowing three runs on four hits, but eventually got that final out to secure the win for the Mariners.
- Like the last two games, USMMA did a lot of its damage in the first few innings, as they scored 12 runs over the first three – seven in the first, three in the second and two in the third.
- Nine different Mariners knocked in runs, with senior Tyler Mowry (Peachtree City, Ga.) leading the way with four RBIs, followed by freshman Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.) with three and classmate Joshua Costlow (Lithia, Fla.) with two. All others knocked in one apiece – Aichele, sophomore Alex Mesaros (Pittsburgh, Pa.), senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan), sophomore Jacob Kelly (Apex, N.C.), classmate Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) and junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.).
- Mundorf led all players with four runs scored, while Alteri, Reddeck and Mowry all scored twice each.
- The Mariners had six extra-base hits on the day – three triples by Mesaros, Kelly and freshman Noah Herdman (Naperville, Ill.) and three doubles by Reinebold, Mowry and Costlow.
Up next, the Mariners will travel up to Skyline Conference opponent Purchase College this Saturday, April 6. Opening pitch of the league doubleheader is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. Live stats for both games will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!