KINGS POINT, N.Y. (April 7, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy baseball team extended its winning-streak to 11 games with a home sweep over Skyline Conference opponent Mount St. Vincent on Sunday at Lower Roosevelt Field. The Mariners won the opener, 15-7, before taking the second game, 6-1. The victories improve USMMA's record to 19-7 (10-2 Skyline), while the Dolphins fall to 11-13.
Game 1 Highlights
- Junior Ben Kane (Huntington Beach, Calif.) got the start and had a tough first inning, allowing three runs, but settled in to finish the game with five strong innings, giving up with six runs (three earned) on six hits with one strikeout. He earned the victory and improves to 3-2 on the season.
- Classmate Garrick Colorado (Williamsburg, Va.) earned a four-inning save to finish out the game, allowing a run on three hits with six K's.
- Junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) had a monster game, going 5-for-5 with triple and a game-best four RBIs.
- The Mariners responded right back to the Dolphins' three-spot in the top of the first with four in the bottom half thanks in part to a total of three errors by Mount St. Vincent.
- A barrage of seven hits coupled with three more Dolphin errors in the bottom of the second allowed Merchant Marine to tack on six more runs and take a 10-3 lead.
- USMMA added two more in the fourth to go up, 12-3, but CMSV responded with three in the fifth and one more in the sixth. The Dolphins were really threatening in the sixth, bringing the tying run up to the plate before eventually leaving the bases loaded.
- The Mariners closed out the scoring with three in the bottom of the seventh.
- Senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) and sophomore Alex Mesaros (Pittsburgh, Pa.) both knocked in two runs apiece, while four other Mariners had one RBI apiece – freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.), senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan), sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) and freshman Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.).
- Merchant Marine belted five extra-base hits – Mundorf's triple and doubles by Aichele, Alteri, Cunningham and Mesaros.
- Aichele and Cunningham both had a game-high three runs each, while Reinebold, Aletri and Mesaros all scored twice. Mundorf, freshman Joshua Costlow (Lithia, Fla.) and sophomore Colin Baker (Clyde Hill, Wash.) all crossed the play once apiece.
Game 2 Highlights
- Sophomore Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) hurled a complete game for his fourth victory of the year, giving up an unearned run after scattering just two hits and striking out nine. He moves to 4-0.
- All of the Mariners' runs in the game came via doubles, as they got a run in the opening inning on a double by Cunningham that plated Alteri.
- Reinebold smacked a two-out, two-RBI double to left-center that scored Reddeck and Baker in the third to make it 3-0.
- USMMA added a run in the fourth after Alteri doubled and was brought home two batters later on a double by Mundorf.
- After the Dolphins got one back on an error in the top of the fourth, the Mariners closed out the scoring on the day with a double by Alteri in the bottom of the fourth that plated Aichele and Reinebold.
- Alteri ended the game 4-for-4 with two RBIs and two runs.
Up next, the Mariners will travel to Wayne, N.J., this Tuesday, April 9, for a non-conference game at William Paterson University. Live stats and a live video feed of the twin-bill will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!