STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. (April 17, 2019) – On Wednesday night, the USMMA baseball team traveled to the College of Staten Island and narrowly defeated the Dolphins by the final score of 6-5. The victory improves the Mariners' record to 23-9, while CSI falls to 13-17.
- The Mariners opened the scoring in the top of the first inning on a double steal that saw senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) steal second and sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) take home.
- Junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) then had his first of a game-high three hits on the night, a single to bring Cunningham in.
- The Dolphins tied up the score with a run in the second and another in the third.
- Merchant Marine scored a pair of two-out runs in the top of the fourth when freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded that brought in freshman Joshua Costlow (Lithia, Fla.) followed by a bases-loaded walk by senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan) that plated classmate Reilly Cherry (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho).
- CSI answered with two of their own in the bottom of fourth to tie the score up at 4-4.
- The Mariners took the lead once again in the next half-inning on a squeeze sacrifice bunt by senior Tyler Mowry (Peachtree City, Ga.) that scored Mundorf and then an RBI single by Cherry that brought in Costlow that made it 6-4.
- The Dolphins made it interesting in the bottom of the ninth by getting one run back, but Cunningham secured his ninth save of the season with a fly-out to center. Cunningham also had a strikeouts in the ninth.
- In a scheduled bullpen day, Aichele got the start on the mound and tossed three innings, giving up two runs on three hits with five strikeouts.
- Junior Garrick Colorado (Williamsburg, Va.) hurled the fourth and fifth innings, allowing two runs on four hits with three K's.
- That was followed by three-straight shutout innings by freshman Billy Todd (Gastonia, N.C.) in the sixth, sophomore Quinton Heck (Massillon, Ohio) in the seventh and classmate Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.) in the eighth.
- Mundorf (3-for-5) and Reinebold (2-for-3) had the Mariners' multi-hit games, as Reinebold had the team's lone extra-base hit – a double in the eighth.
- USMMA stole a total of seven bases on the night, with Mundorf leading the way with two swipes.
Up next, the Mariners will travel out to Bethlehem, Pa., this Saturday, April 20, for a non-conference doubleheader against former Landmark opponent Moravian College. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Greyhounds' Gillespie Field. Live stats and a live video feed of the game will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!