EWING, N.J. (Dec. 2, 2018) – The USMMA men's swim & dive team competed in the three-day Lions Invitational this weekend, hosted by the College of New Jersey. Senior Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.) picked up the Mariners' lone first-place finish at the event, highlighting 13 "A-Finals" (top-eight) performances on the weekend for Merchant Marine. Additionally, on the diving side, sophomore Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) and senior Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.) both hit NCAA Qualifying marks in the one-meter dive event on Sunday.
As a team, the Mariners came in third place at the event with a score of 756. The host Lions of TCNJ captured first place with 1123.5 points, while Swarthmore College came in second with 841 points.
Kahl won the 200 backstroke on Sunday with a time of 1:53.81. The senior also came in second place in the 100 back on Saturday in 52.52. He also came in eighth place in the 200 individual medley with a time of 1:59.34.
Other Mariner swimmers that finished in the top-eight are listed below.
- Junior Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) came in third in the 100 breaststroke in 58.82, fifth in the 200 breast in 2:11.74 and eighth in the 50 freestyle in 23.04
- Sophomore Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.) placed fourth in the 50 free in 22.02
- Sophomore Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) came in fourth in the 100 free in 48.39
- Freshman Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.) placed sixth in both the 100 back (54.59) and the 200 back (2:00.15)
- Freshman Patrick Tolloti (Dover, Ohio) came in sixth in the 200 breast (2:13.55) and eighth in the 100 breast (1:00.82)
- And sophomore John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) placed eighth in the 200 back with a time of 2:09.54
The Mariners' top relay team on the weekend was the 200 free relay squad of Monahan, Moore, sophomore Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.) and Welch, which place third on Friday with a time of 1:27.50.
In the diving action, McMillan came in second place in both the three-meter dive on Saturday with a score of 422.95 and the one-meter dive on Sunday with an NCAA qualifying score of 434.05. Curry was third in both events, scoring a 340.40 on the three-meter board and an NCAA qualifying mark of 432.00 on Sunday on the one-meter board.
For the complete results from the TCNJ Invitational, click here.
Up next, the Mariners will host Skyline Conference opponent Old Westbury this coming Friday, Dec. 7. Action is set to get underway at 6 p.m. at the O'Hara Hall Poll. A live video feed of the meet will be available at this link.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!