EWING, N.J. (Dec. 2, 2018) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's swimming & diving team spent the past three days competing in the TCNJ Lions Invitational in New Jersey, where they saw two "A-Final" (top-eight) finishes, as well as 12 "B-Final" finishes (next eight).
Sophomore Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) picked up the Mariners' only A-Final performances on the weekend, as she came in seventh place in the 100 freestyle on Sunday with a time of 56.00. She also placed eighth in the 200 individual medley on Friday in 2:17.61. The sophomore added two other B-Final results to her great weekend, placing 12th in the 100 backstroke (1:04.05) and 14th in the 100 butterfly (1:02.63).
The other 10 B-Final performances on the weekend are listed below.
- Freshman Samantha Hunt (Franklin, Texas) came in 10th in the 200 fly (2:25.44)
- Junior Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) placed 13th in both the 400 IM (5:14.23) and the 200 breaststroke (2:39.62), while also coming in 16th in the 100 breast (1:15.62)
- Junior Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) came in 15th place in the 500 free (5:39.37)
- Freshman Breanna Harris (Round Rock, Texas) placed 15th in the 400 IM (5:39.89)
- Senior Pamela Grod (Northbrook, Ill.) came in 15th in the 100 breast (1:14.20)
- Sophomore Angeline Lei (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) placed 16th in the 400 IM (5:49.63)
- Sophomore Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) came in 16th in the 200 breast (2:52.29)
- And junior Sara Cosenza (Peoria, Ariz.) placed 16th in the 200 fly (2:42.84)
In diving action, senior Kara Korengel (Cincinnati, Ohio) placed third in the three-meter board on Sunday with a score of 389.50.
For the complete results from the TCNJ Invitational, click here.
Up next, the Mariners will host Skyline Conference opponents Old Westbury and St. Joseph's-Brooklyn this coming Friday, Dec. 7. Action is set to get underway at 6 p.m. at the O'Hara Hall Poll. A live video feed of the meet will be available at this link.
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!