KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Dec. 7, 2018) – On Friday night, the USMMA women's swim & dive team defeated visiting Skyline opponents Old Westbury and St. Joseph's-Brooklyn at the O'Hara Hall Pool. The Mariners improve to 3-0 (3-0 Skyline) on the season with the 121-8 and 121-48 victories over the Panthers and Bears, respectively.
On the diving side, senior Kara Korengel (Cincinnati, Ohio) won both the one-meter dive with a score of 221.55 and the three-meter dive with a 267.83. Her three-meter score was her second NCAA Qualifying Mark of the season on that board, which means she is officially headed to NCAA Regionals in March.
The Mariners picked up victories in every single event. The winners are listed below.
- The 200 medley relay team of freshman Lynden Massey (Friendswood, Texas) and sophomores Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.), Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) and Jennifer Stelnicki (Chicago, Ill.) in 2:01.56.
- Junior Sara Cosenza (Peoria, Ariz.) in the 1000 freestyle in 12:31.41
- Kirshner in the 200 free (2:02.39) and the 500 free (5:37.14)
- Massey in the 50 free in 26.44 with her first collegiate win
- Senior Pamela Grod (Northbrook, Ill.) in the 200 individual medley 2:25.77
- Junior Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) in the 100 butterfly (1:08.16) and the 100 breaststroke (1:16.66)
- Stelnicki in the 100 free in 1:01.11
- Junior Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) in the 100 backstroke in 1:04.40
- And the 200 free relay team of Stelnicki, Gathy, Grod and Massey in 1:47.15
The following swimmers also hit season-best times.
- Gathy in 200 free by one second (2:06.77)
- Lou in 100 fly by three seconds (1:08.16)
- Grod in 100 back by 1.5 seconds (1:06.41)
- Orski in 100 breast by one second (1:19.62)
- Stelnicki in the 100 free by a half-second (1:01.11)
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are right back in action tomorrow, when they travel up to Purchase College for more Skyline Conference action against a trio of opponents – the host Panthers, Sarah Lawrence College and St. Joseph's-Long Island. Action is set to get underway at 12-noon.
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!