NEW YORK (Jan. 8, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's swimming team traveled into New York City on Tuesday night for a non-conference meet against Hunter College. The Mariners defeated the Hawks by the final score of 56-39, improving their record to 7-0 on the season, while Hunter falls to 7-2.
The Mariners won all but two events on the night. Picking up multiple individual victories were juniors Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) and Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.), as well as sophomore Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.). Gathy won the 1000 freestyle (11:43.28) and the 500 free (5:41.46); Lou touched first in the 400 individual medley (5:02.03) and the 200 breaststroke (2:39.45); and Kirshner triumphed in the 50 free (25.80) and the 100 free (56.84).
Also touching first on the night for the Mariners were freshman Chase Massey (Friendswood, Texas) in the 200 free (2:09.33) and classmate Samantha Hunt (Franklin, Texas) in the 200 butterfly (2:24.82).
Additionally, the 200 medley relay team of Massey, Lou, Kirshner and Hunt led off the meet with a victory in 1:58.89.
The following Mariners recorded season-best times on the night.
- Junior Sara Cosenza (Peoria, Ariz.) by six seconds in the 1000 free (12:25.86)
- Massey in the 200 free (2:09.33)
- Sophomore Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) by four seconds in the 200 free (2:16.08)
- Sophomore Christina Hogan (North Andover, Mass.) by 0.6 seconds in the 50 free (27.93)
- Lou in 400 IM by 10 seconds (5:02.03)
- Sophomore Angeline Lei (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) in 400 IM by 6 seconds (5:43.05)
- Hunt in the 200 fly (2:24.82)
- Junior Marley Rakow (Bishopville, Md.) in 100 free (1:06.60)
- And Lou in the 200 breast (2:39.45)
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners return to action this Saturday, Jan. 12, with a home Skyline meet against Mount St. Mary beginning at 1 p.m. at the O'Hara Hall Pool.
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!